Friday 25 April 2014

Summer Hits

     I have read that the formula for finding your 'summer hit' is to find what was top of the charts on midsummer's day when you were 17. In my case that would be June 21st 1981 and, thanks to the wonders of t'internet and search engines, that would be Being With You by Smokey Robinson (apologies if the Youtube link starts with an annoying ad).  The full top 40 for that week may be viewed here http://www.officialcharts.com/archive-chart/_/1/1981-06-20/ and those songs which I prefer from that chart I wouldn't really associate with summer in particular.
      In fact, I associate summer hits with pop trash (I think I've fared fairly well with Smokey Robinson - the example I saw was from someone born the year after me and one year after Mr Robinson was No 1 it was Charlene with I've Never Been To Me) and bland Europop that people have heard on holiday.  Added to that, I believe that music sales fall during summer so that big summer hits are rarely high up in the yearly charts, unless they stay at the top for many weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment